The East Riding of Yorkshire Council is proposing to redevelop Bridlington Leisure World. Leisure World is reaching the end of its economic life. The building fabric and infrastructure is deteriorating. It is inefficient and has increasing utility, repair and maintenance requirements and has suffered frequent breakdowns in recent years. The current layout arrangements at Leisure World are unsuitable and of poor quality, and it shares the site with the disused 3Bs theatre which creates poor access arrangements and limits on site parking.
The Council is to invest in a replacement multipurpose facility on the existing Leisure World site that will meet Bridlington’s future needs. The new facility will provide a high quality, sustainable, and flexible building that will be easier to maintain and manage whilst accommodating an attractive array of sports facilities. It will bring together wet and dry sports and leisure activities under one roof. It will provide accessible health and fitness facilities that can serve the varying needs of local residents and visitors to the town. The redevelopment not only rationalises and improves the wet and dry sports facilities but it also contributes to the regeneration of Bridlington town centre.
The primary use of the new building will be a year round community sports facility also capable of providing a wet weather attraction for visitors.
The project will include:
- 25m 6 lane swimming pool, max depth 2m.
- 13x7m learner pool with moveable floor - operating to a maximum depth of 2m
- Leisure water – Freeform pool to include waterplay features and slides connected to the learner pool by moveable bund. 2 slides with aqua run off.
- Swimming spectator seating for 150
- Village style wet changing facilities at pool level.
- Health Suite – Steam room, Sauna, Jacuzzi
- 70 Station Fitness Suite
- Exercise studio
- Spinning studio
- 6 Court sports hall – Specified to Sport England Club level.
- 2 Squash courts
- Dry sports and separate members changing areas.
- A feature climbing wall – located within central ‘Street’
- Spaces suitable for clubroom, dance classes, yoga, children's parties
- Cafe/ Coffee shop - Open access to non-centre users with external seating and views over the bay.
- Health and wellbeing consulting space.
- Third party retail units
- Additional parking provision on the site and much easier drop off and pick up.
Thank you to all of those people who visited the displays at Leisure World, the Spa Bridlington and via this website. Your comments have been gratefully received and are being considered as the proposals progress towards a full planning submission. Feel free to revisit this website for news and updates as soon as they become available.
During construction sports provision, including gym facilities and fitness classes, will be provided from the Gypsey Road Sports Hall site that will also be the location for a 25m temporary indoor swimming pool for the duration of the build.